Dec 18, 2008

Not Now I'm Busy

When opportunity comes knocking it's sometimes hard to say no, but sometimes it's exactly what you have to do. In the world of beach glass reds, yellows and oranges are very very hard to come by; and therefore very valuable and in demand. So it would seem the easy answer is to create these colours. And yes, some artists do just that, however, it's not beach or sea glass then, it's tumbled glass. And there is a market for that out there (there's a market for almost everything isn't there?) but it's not my market, or rather, my interest.

This is where I say no. I could make it, but I won't. The reason I work in beach glass is I like the hunt. I love the sound of the waves, the feel of the sand and rocks as I dig and the magical moment when I find a really cool piece. I would loose that if I simply used a tumbler.

In your business, if an opportunity knocks but it doesn't feel right what do you do? Do you answer the door or simply say "Not now, I'm busy doing what I love to do?"