Dec 31, 2009

Everything I know I learned from a 5 year old


Everyone knows that we learn a lot from our children, but here is just a quick list of some of the things I've learned from my son over the holidays:

1. "The presents will still be here later mommy." He told me when I tried to rush him into opening more presents instead of playing with them along the way. WHY RUSH THE GOOD THINGS

2. "Kids need food more than toys." He said when we were picking which charity to help this year, but most amazingly is his logic, compassion and conviction. FOCUS ON THE BASICS

3. If the reward is good enough, it's worth the wait. Nothing quotable here, but my son didn't need a single video, game or activity between Kingston and London for this trip. He just talked with us the whole way and was excited to get there.

4. "Can I start doing my checklist again mommy?" Everyone likes some sort of routine (even though I fight it) and after a chaotic holiday it's good to get back to some structure GOOD TIME TO SET UP BUSINESS ROUTINES

5. "You can't feel older mommy, that's impossible." This will serve me well I'm sure. My son said this on the eve of his birthday when I asked him if he felt 6. I hope I experience the same thing on my next birthday! AGE IS JUST A NUMBER, IT'S NOT A FEELING

4 comments:

Kathy Maher Patterson said...

This made me misty. I hope you write these down (somewhere other than here in your blog, of course). I write down "Cam-isms" and marvel at their wisdom, sans baggage. I loved what you wrote about the long drive. We don't have portable DVD, Nintendo DS or any of that crap. People are astounded that kids can be entertained with conversation, daydreaming and books!

Christine Peets said...

Yes, we truly can learn a lot from our children. This is brilliant, and very well written. I too hope you keep it, and read it to James too.
Happy New Year to all of you, and Happy Birthday to James.

beautifuldayto said...

What a guy....he is something else Lindsey! Pure love & a wise old soul...

Happy New year guys...

Terri said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing such inspiring words of wisdom from a 5 year old. J

Happy New Year!

Terri