Jan 16, 2009

Your product beats your marketing

When I ran Market Me (a marketing company) a few years a go I was very picky with the clients I took on. I knew that not everything was marketable, well wait, everything is marketable, just not sellable. I've seen many people try to use a good pitch or ad to sell a very mundane thing. I've also seen in the art world, artists afraid of selling out, not willing to create anything that people are willing to buy.

I agree there's a fine balance between creating just for the sake of selling and for creating just for the sake of creating. Unfortunately, if you don't have a buyer you won't be able to eat so some compromises do have to be made. And if you get it right, you'll have a profitable balance between the two.

I recently set up a few blogs and it really does come down to what you're selling as to how successful you'll be. I'm sure you've heard the term selling ice to an Eskimo? Well, one of my blogs (http://weddingsundera1000.blogspot.com/) on the first day I launched it already had more subscribers and visits than this blog ever has! It has a better selling proposition or higher demand. It proved to me that it comes down to what you are selling not what you are marketing as I hadn't even started to market it yet.

So if you wondering what you can do to increase your sales - before looking at your marketing campaign, look at what it is you're selling.

1 comments:

ArtSnoop Kingston said...

Learning who you really are, as a business or as a person, should come from what you absolutely feel best doing that you have some skill in...(in the work world, it's the "strengths movement.)

And in terms of marketing, it all has to start there. That doesn't mean ignoring "who cares" (i.e. your market) ---it means using both to find your Unique Selling Proposition: The unique thing you have that people want. But it's still about "the flag you're running up the flagpole." Everyone who tries to be too many things to too many people dilutes their message and brand.