Jun 24, 2008

When goulash is better than meat and potatoes

The last 2 weeks I have worked with a few clients trying to simplify their work or develop a disciplined focus for what they do. Someone, somewhere along the line has told them that they need to find one focus and go with that; that their business can't be so scattered. And at times I would agree with this statement. At times, however, I think it's exactly the wrong thing to do.

Take for instance what my life as an artist is going to be in a few weeks:
  • running a kids camp
  • teaching at the college
  • grant writing for artists / organizations
  • selling my own art
  • facilitating workshops and presentations
  • writing blogs
  • online marketing consulting

A quick look at this list and some may say it is unfocused. But when you look at it closely, they are all inter-related and all within themselves focused on the work I want to do and can do. They all generate revenue and none of them conflict with the image I want to create for myself. To me if I were just the meat and potatoes with the same outcome every time, that was predictable and somewhat bland, I would lose focus and ambition. By taking that same meat and potatoes and making goulash, I get a different flavour every time - that's what will keep me focused on results and my passions.