Jun 10, 2008

It takes a family to raise an entrepreneur


Yesterday I took the plunge - I submitted my letter of resignation from the corporate world. It's funny to watch everyone's face when I tell them I'm not leaving for another job, I'm leaving to be an artist. It was almost surreal, I had planned the day for a while but it felt so neat to actually be at this point in the journey.

As I embark down this new path, I realize that as much as I'm an independent artist and an independent business consultant, I'm not in this alone. My friends and family have played a very important role: my cheerleader. My husband, who is not a risk taker, is really going out of his comfort zone to support me and that gives me confidence and a level head to bounce my ideas off of. My friends have offered me solid advice on everything from timing, to process to financial ideas.

So, I've learned that even if you're in business by yourself, you're never in it alone. It really does take a family to raise an entrepreneur!