May 26, 2009

I'll take the high road


James taught me something last night (not the first time). He was singing a song that I taught him last week when a friend hit him and he wanted revenge - "I'll take the high road, and you'll take the low road and I'll be to Scotland before you..." We talked about what 'taking the high road' meant. I thought the lesson had just went right over his head, but apparently something stuck. And his timing couldn't have been better... for me.

On the weekend I was doing a show at the Distillery District in Toronto. A neat place for sure, with lots of people and lots of wind. The wind storm created some issues and I had some of my display items break. In the midst of cleaning them up, someone had taken one of my rings; and not just any ring but a red beach glass ring (one of the rarest colours of beach glass). Needless to say I was off to a grumpy start that day.

But when I heard James singing 'I'll take the high road..' it reminded me to do the same. Instead of being so bitter about it, I'm going to see it as a compliment. Someone wanted one of my pieces so much that they were willing to risk breaking the law. And I bet they'll be talking about it too! So who knows, maybe they'll buy something from me down the road...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the theft Lindsay. good attitude about taking 'the high road'.

here's another wee ditty:

"Up in bonnie Scotland where the grass grows green,
Between the highlands and the lowlands and the bits found in between,
There's no need to get upset
Just because you're getting wet...

Just pull out your pipes,
Put on your kilt,
...and try your dancing steps! "

Tracy said...

OOh, bummer about your loss...but an opportunity to take the high road, benefits you in so many ways. Way to go for turning it around... those really are moments I always remember...and feel so good for! It's easy to see the good in something good - but to see the good in something crappy - now that's walking the walk!
T

Tim said...

Nice post. My hope is that someone is appreciating your red beach glass ring right now...even if it is stolen.

~Tim