May 20, 2009

The dreaded donation request

Spring is here, and do you know how I know? Because I've been asked to donate some of my beach glass art to everything ranging from animal shelters, homelessness, to youth at risk and some organizations I still don't have a clue what they do. Don't get me wrong, my frustration isn't that I don't think these organizations are deserving, nor is because I think I'm the only being asked because my husband who is not an artist but a small business owner, is getting swamped with similar requests - maybe even more. My frustration is that I don't think they're listening to the same radio station as me - WII FM.

Have you listened to that station? It's the What's in it for me station. As much as we do things for strictly philanthropic reasons, we often have other motives as well. If I am going to help an organization for nothing else then to help, they don't need to seek me out, I'll seek them.

So if someone is seeking my support, then I need them to do some work in exchange. I need to determine what value is in for me as an artist, as a person, as a small business owner. I actually get them to fill out a form so I can judge all my donations equally, keep a file on each donation and make informed decisions. Since I've started to telling other artists I do this, I've been getting requests for copies of my form so here is the gist of it:

Contact Name:
Contact Phone:
Contact Email:
Organization:
Value of item requested:
Event Name:
Event Date:
Location:
Description of Event:
How many people will be attending?
Who will be attending the event?
What other items are being donated?
How does my art fit?
Where else will my name / item be promoted?
Will I receive tickets to the event?
Will I be notified after the event about who received my item and how much it went for?
May I request a reserve bid?
Are you able to pay for any portion of the piece?
Will I receive a tax receipt for my donation?

So don't dread those requests, organize them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. What a great idea....I will use the form ffron now on and pass it to my business/artist friends

regards,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Good one.
Thanks
D

Anonymous said...

Linds,


I have been contacting a great deal of businesses lately to get product donation. A few things that you could add to your form are.


How is this event promoted

Is my product donation exclusive in that category

How will my product be displayed (promoted) at your event. i.e. Will a Keynote be wearing my jewelry. Will it be in a display case.

How will my brochures, banners, business cards be displayed

Will you be auctioning, drawing for or selling my product?

Will you be taking pictures of my product


Tim

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay,
Good points...i've been listening to what's WII FM too.heh.