Aug 7, 2009

Diving in Fully Clothed


Last night, after dinner, we decided to take a quick trip down to my favourite rock beach. It was a beautiful night, light breeze, big waves where you could actually hear the rocks being tumbled ashore and washed away again (thanks Matt for pointing that out), and 3 giggling Fair's messing about. James was looking for sticks to make into pretend weapons and in between jumping waves trying not to get wet, Matt was watching the sailboats in the distance and wishing he was out there I'm sure and me with my head down on the 'hunt'.

At one point I said, 'come on orange'. Referring to my desire to find an orange piece of beach glass. Looked down and was what at my feet... not an orange piece of beach glass, but a piece of an orange peel. Note to self, be more explicit when I call out my wishes.

I continued to think about a piece of orange glass and giggled as I pictured myself diving in the water, fully-clothed, blackberry and all to get a piece. And there's no doubt that that's what I would have done if one had caught my eye. There's not many things in business that I would jump in fully clothed for, but it's good to know that I still have something that gets me that excited.

What about in your business, is there still something that would make you jump in fully clothed (and it doesn't have to be literally like in my case)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellooo Lindsey,

And I was on my second-ever beach glass outing yesterday, way out Bath Road, and found a beautiful small red one.... have a feeling it is special.

Thank you for teaching me about these things - I love to look for four-leaf-clovers, and this, too, is the same sort of thing .... keeping an eye trained to see the unusual in the midst of the ordinary!

~fran, your former student

tracy said...

I really love this post... and the feeling I got seeing you and your guys, all together on the beach. I so love the orange peel bit - needing to be more specific with your wishes! Maybe it's that true...we just need to get a more clear picture in our mind, of what we really want. I love that.

What would I jump in for? hmmmm. I sort of feel I jump in with nearly every shoot, one way or another. Whether it's dropping to the ground and laying right out to a get a shot, in public (something I've had to inch my way into, fearful of looking like I might think I'm Lebovitz or something!)...or climbing up in a tree to get the shot from up high thinking to myself "man, this is so unsafe and my gear...so not cool if it fell".... but then I do it anyway. Because that's what you do when you are passionate about your work - you leap in. And that's what makes your jewelry, little masterpieces...it starts with the energy you have in the search. Right back at the beginning. Thanks for the inspriration...to wish in detail, and leap in when I get the chance!