Feb 6, 2009

When the Cash Flow is More like a Frozen Pond

Well, I'm not sure if your business is like mine or not, but this time of year not only is the ground frozen up, but my cash isn't flowing much either. I know retailers are feeling my pain right now too. So what are we to do about it? Here's some tips that may help:
  1. ask for longer payment terms on supplies from your regular suppliers
  2. ask for larger down payments on custom orders
  3. host a seconds sale (I'm hosting a Leftovers Potluck on February 15 as a twist on a studio open house - drop by if you can and bring some friends)
  4. check in on those consignment accounts and see if they can pay you
  5. eat leftovers (see #3 for a fun twist on this :-)
Oh yeah, and next year heed my advice (from experience) pre-plan for your slow times.