Jul 9, 2008

What should I be called?

The big question has been posed and I need your thoughts on it. What should I call myself? As discussed in previous posts, I am venturing out in the world as a goulash, a mixed bag of activities, services and products, somehow or other all connected though to the world of art. Should I brand myself and my art as simply 'Lindsey Fair' as my parents named me? Or should I try and find something catchy and unique as a business name that captures it all?

There's definitely an argument for both sides. Seth Godin (one of my favorite business authors) discusses the value of his brand being "Seth Godin", and that he's lucky his parent's didn't name him Mike instead.

As much as I believe I have established a modest brand in my name, I'm pretty sure it's not as strong as Seth's (maybe some day). However, I'm a big believer in being memorable and unique, and I'm not quite sure if Lindsey will cut it.

So what are your thoughts? Should I simply be a piece of white beach glass called Lindsey Fair or a unique bottle topper called..........